The property at 230 Edwards Road was bought by the U. S. government from Chickasaw Native Pa She La Cha in the early 1800’s. Brandt’s Great Great Great Grandfather purchased the property in 1832.
Brandt’s father, James Edwards bought the property from his mother, Kate Stroub in 1939.
After serving in World War II James built his wife Helen and new son James (Jimmy) Rufus (Brandt,1972) Edwards, Jr. a new home in 1947.
After the passing of James in 2002 and Helen in 2007 forty acres of this historied “home place” was bequeathed to Brandt.
We moved out of the house April 27, 2014 with plans to remodel and add-on.
After realizing termites had been working for years to greatly interfere with our plans we made a dramatic design choice on May 21, 2014. We immediately started plans for a new structure that reflected our aesthetic and lifestyle.
December 3, 2014 construction on our “farm-house” began.
B & B Concrete gave us a great foundation.
Homeworx of Hernando, MS got us “dry” in record time.
Campbell’s Glass in Byhalia made our “store front” home a reality.
Our shed style structure has 8′ ceilings in back and 11′ in the front.
We used commercial grade, standing seam, steel siding and roofing.
A totally unexpected turn of events allowed us to get engaged on June 26 and married September 5, 2015. Just in time to move in our new “country home” on…
September 8, 2015
Cabinet construction by Pierce Cabinets…no relation but I would gladly claim them.
we inviting guests for dinner on December 4 2015.
The lamp is made from a trophy Helen won at The Shelby County Talent Show in 1991. The art is W. J. Cunningham’s “Tyler’s Midnight”, 2002. And the posters are original Broadway posters…the A Chorus Line poster was a gift from Joe Papp to Brandt on opening night in 1974 and the 42nd Street poster is from the original NOT the revival!
The dining table was found on the sidewalk on South Main in Memphis. The chairs are Louis Ghost by Kartell. The mid-century “dresser” has been with Brandt since New York. The Tiffany candlesticks and vintage Cranberry Glass are treasured wedding gifts. The lamps are made from bed posts found in our South Main dumpster and fabricated by The Lamp Shade House, Memphis.
The urns are from the estate of the lovely Natalie Deutz (Moonstruck, Arthur, Crocodile Dundee, Six Degrees of Separation, Fatal Attraction, Saturday Night Live, The Sopranos and Sex in the City). They are 19th Century George Jones “Exhibition” Majolica. The painting is Mauro Poponesi F. Dipinse, Italy, 2012. The lamp is one of Fay and Quindel Pierce’ first purchases, circa 1945…recently re-worked and modernized. The rocker is a Grandfather Edwards heirloom. It’s one of few items saved when the family home burned in downtown Byhalia due to fireworks, July 4, 1940. Our sweet Toby rests comfortably under the “fireplace”. The flooring is floorte’ by Shaw from Kiser’s Floor Fashions. The red croc wallcovering is Maya Romanoff. The bedding is Ann Gish and the lighting is Lisa Jarvis. The Siamese cats were created and gifted to Brandt by his grandmother Stella.
The bookcase was made by “Jimmy” in “shop” at Byhalia High School, circa 1962.
The lighting fixture is the dining table fixture that hung over the table in the original farm-house. The mirror is an heirloom from the home of Albert Levi and Martha America Mayo Pierce, circa 1910. The milk glaze urn is another Stella creation.
…and finally…dinner was served!!!
D’artagnan Foie Gras and Pate’
Stufato di pesce e pane a lievitazione naturale grigliato
Arrosto di Cinghiale, Rosette al Forno, Spinaci saltati e funghi
Panna Cotta con pere salsiccette e miele
It took a while and pardon our boldness but…we think the house is lovely and look forward to many good times being had by all!!!